Summer Tibet Tour
Come join us for our very special summer tour to Tibet. During this tour we see all the major parts of Lhasa, as well as visiting Lake Namtso, and offering some great top ups, such as a night time trek with nomads, and white water rafting on our last day.
And if all this summer madness was not enough for you, we also offer a weeks extension to North Korea, the week directly following this tour, with the Lhasa – Beijing training you in town the morning of your departure, although meaning almost three days straight on the train, the vast change of landscape and scenery can only be compared with a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
5 nights, 6 days, plus 2 on the train • €995 • Beijing – Lhasa – Beijing Flight in/Train out
5 nights, 6 days, plus 1 on the train • €950 • Xi’an – Lhasa – Beijing Flight in/Train out.
5 nights, 6 days, plus 1 on the train • €895 • Xi’an – Lhasa – Xi’an Flight in/Train out.
NOTE – To start or finish at another destination i.e. Shanghai, Chengdu, or Xining, please get in touch for an amended price
North Korea Extension (week directly after the trip)
4 nights, 5 days • €895 (845 if doing Tibet) +€70 to fly either way
6 nights, 7 days • €1195(1135 if doing Tibet) +€70 to fly in/€120 to fly out
8 nights, 9 days • €1495 (11405 if doing Tibet) +€70 to fly either way
10 nights, 11 days • €1795 (1695 if doing Tibet) +€70 to fly in/€120 to fly out
Bookings are subject to a €7.50 administrative fee per person.
July 29th (Mon)
- Afternoon flight from Beijing/Xi’an to Lasa
- Met by your western guide Gareth and your Tibetan guides and transfer to hostel
- Chance to acclimatize to the high altitude
- Taken out Lasa old town with your guide to sample the liquid delights and soak up the atmosphere of the old own
- Overnight in hostel
- Morning visit to the wondrous site that is the Potala Palace, home to the Dalai Lama’s and simply breathtaking.
- Visit to Jokhang Temple, the most sacred shrine in TIbet
- Souvenir shopping in Barkhor Street
- Lunch at a Nepalise Restaurant in Lasa
- Free afternoon to explore the old town
- Dinner at a traditional Tibetan restaurant, and of course eat Yak!
- For those inclined a night out in Lasa’s new town to hang out with Tibetans in the constantly evolving bar and club scene
- Overnight at hostel
- Morning visit to Sera Monastery located 5km north of Lasa, this monastery was the first Gelugpa monastery in Lhasa and has remained the main seat of this major Buddhist order ever since. About 600 monks are now in residence here. There is a fine kora path around the monastery.
- Visit Norbulingka Palace and Park. Built in 1755 this served as the summer residence of the Dalai Lama up until the last Dalai Lama left in 1959. This is WHO site, and a real treat
- Lunch in the city
- Chance to go white water rafting ( at own expense)
- Dinner in City
- Overnight in hostel
- Get up nice and early for the 4 hour drive to Namtso lake, the highest salt water lake in the world!
- Stop on the way for lunch in the countryside
- Arrival and dropping off of bags
- Hike down to the lake where the clear skies join the surface of the lake in the distance creating an amazing view. It is said that “every visitor who has ever been here will find their souls cleansed”, whilst we cannot promise that, we can promise at least a swim!
- As we will be staying overnight in a tent, it would only be prudent to make sure that we had at least a little camp fire, and some BBQ for dinner, and some Tibetan moonshine!
- Overnight in tents
- Up early for the 4-6 hour dive back to Lhasa
- Refreshment stop in the way in a small Tibetan village
- Arrival in Lasa, check into hostel
- Free afternoon
- Last night in Lasa, with drinks in the old town with our Tibetan guides. On the last night we like to buy dinner for our guides, and let them tell us about their Tibet
- Last chance to buy souvenirs in the old town
- Board the wonderful “sky train”, at 13.30 for the 42 hour trip to Beijing, where fresh oxygen is pumped through the carriage for the 36 hour trip to Xi’an, or 48 hour trip to Beijing. This is truly one of the most amazing train journeys in the world, with most of the great sites coming during day time hours
- Arrival in Beijing (06.30) group will be able to drop their bags at a hostel near the train station, and relax before getting ready for the DPRK part of the trip!